Saturday, August 6, 2011

Peaches!

I had a productive Saturday.  Got up early.  Cleaned the house.  Completed the laundry.  Saw a movie with a friend (Thumbs up for Crazy Stupid Love).  Half hour of cardio and a half hour of weight lifting.  Got groceries.  And made 14 pints of peach jam.  I love how the house smells all peachy.  The eight cups of hot peach flesh is so pretty when you cook it up; a combination of gold, orange and red.  Once it hits a rolling boil that can't be stirred away I added the sugar.  It was, I admit, an obscene amount of sugar.  Eleven cups of sugar is a lot of empty carbs.  Adding the sugar cools down the mixture and makes it much more liquid.  I think it's weird that adding a solid (like sugar) to a moist but not watery mixture makes it much more liquid.  Must be a science thing. And even though my arm was tired, I had to continue to stir and stir and stir.  Once the sugary peach mixture reached a rolling boil that could not be stirred away, I cooked it for another minute before taking it off the heat and pouring it into sterilized glass jars.  I find it very satisfying to listen to the lids pop as they seal shut; the jars make a peachy sound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll want to place a twitter icon to your blog. I just marked down the url, but I must make this manually. Simply my 2 cents.

My site:
Rachat de credit rachatdecredit.net

One Puzzling Afternoon

 Emily Critchley is the author of One Puzzling Afternoon , a mystery historical fiction novel set in a small town in the British Isles. Edie...